Saturday, July 9, 2011

Flubber in a Strainer

 
I've posted about how wonderful flubber is before. 

Flubber is a staple in our classroom. 


Lately, we've been experimenting with it. 


I've read about putting flubber in a strainer in the Ooey Gooey books, and saw it in action here at Casa Marias Creative Learning Zone

All I really needed was a strainer to get the ball rolling, and I found a really nifty one with handles!
I used a sturdy string tied on each side of it to hang it. I'm not tall enough to reach the ceiling, even standing on a chair, so I hung it on our cubby hooks.

It takes a while before anything interesting happens, but after about twenty minutes or so, they started noticing the flubber in a strainer.



It was REALLY hard for them not to touch it, but I wanted them to see the full effect of dripping flubber before playing with it.

...And then they could touch it! :)


Chris experiments with touching the flubber with his nose...and makes a discovery.
"I can see through it!"

It has an interesting effect. The flubber takes on the properties of a liquid in SLOOOOW motion. I love the little rain drops.
They had fun pulling on the flubber and knocking down the little rain drops. Be warned...if you decide to try this...lay down a some newspapers or a tarp, because they will be sure to knock the little pieces EVERYWHERE! If you don't, well, it was easy enough to sweep up.
The next day, using the assistance of my 6 foot tall co-teacher, Mr. Matt, the flubber was hung from the ceiling (during nap time.) We added a funnel, too.







The display began attracting attention during snack time.


After they finished eating, they couldn't resist the flubber table. As the flubber dripped and broke, they loved to catch it and use it for play.
The glass stones add a special element to play.

 Here was the view looking up.


 
 
How magical!
 
Happy playing!

3 comments:

  1. I've heard of using strawberry baskets and strainers but have never seen it in action before. Very cool! Did you use clear glue for that flubber because it looks different; more transparent?

    Thanks for sharing this wonderful project on It's Playtime.

    Rachele @ Messy Kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachele, yes...I used up the last of my clear glue for this batch of flubber. One day, I want to make clear flubber with glitter. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! This activity is awesome.Love the pictures and the complete mess of it all. So fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comment! Happy playing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...